Classes of hosting solutions
A hosting service involves hoarding and/or sharing specific content on a server handled by a hosting provider. There are various forms of hosting services utilized for various aims, so let's take a look at these. In this way, you can choose what you want, based on whether you wish to run a web portal, email accounts, or to share files with friends and partners.
- File hosting: a service furnished by various web hosts, which lets you share large files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archived files, and so on. This solution is also known as file storage, and its sole aim is to share files, since it does not support website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to view .html or .php web files in your browser. Free file storage services often include adverts next to the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given amount of time to view them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you own a paid file hosting plan, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
These days, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting traders, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more stylish "cloud hosting". This is a completely amiss interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting environment would divide the tasks at hand between individual packs of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web space hosting services (mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is just a kind of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; specific providers provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting brand is suitable if you would like to share a huge amount of pics with friends or partners since the solution is usually free of cost. You will receive a random link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the solution cannot be used for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to administering your mails. Some corporations offer website hosting services for web pages, but do not offer an e-mail service. If you wish to keep an email address with your domain name but do not want to own a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can open e-mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video, or you can embed the video file in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video creates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and a few hundred website viewers, you may have a problem with your website hosting supplies. Embedding the video will enable you to operate as many video files as you desire without worrying about system reserves.
- Website hosting: this is the solution that you require if you wish to have a website. To a certain degree, it incorporates all of the abovementioned hosting categories since, along with your websites, you can also host pics and files, you can set up databases and mails, upload video files, and so on. At Generation Solutions, for example, you can take a look at web hosting and dedicated server hosting solutions that permit you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in a single location. There may be limits based on the form of hosting service that you've selected - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your webspace hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the common email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are meant for particular web content only.