Here are the 4 most important travel tips for Invisalign patients. To make your vacation a complete success, the easiest thing to do is to put together a dental care kit. Invisalign box, cleaning crystals, chewies, toothbrushes, dental floss, and toothpaste should not be missing. Of course, it sometimes happens that you just forget something.
Top Travel Tips for Invisalign Patients
What can you do then? Of course, there is usually a supermarket or pharmacy nearby where you can buy essentials. Nevertheless, we have put together a few emergency tips for you if everything is really missing.
Forgot your Chewies?
It happens again and again that patients come to us from other practices because they have forgotten their chewies or fitters. If this happens to you, there are a few simple tricks you can use to help yourself out. If your orthodontist has one, you can simply order it in our shop. Of course, if you are further away there are simple tricks too. We tried them all for you. And they work well.
- Use a hard eraser.
- Use a wooden stick or pencil.
- Fold a straw a few times and use it like a Chewie.
- Take a tempo or a napkin and roll it up as small as you can.
- Take a business card and fold it as many times as possible.
How do you keep your aligners clean when you travel?
Do you want to quickly clean your aligners in between? Use a travel size mouthwash and a small plastic box. Simply put the aligners in the small plastic box, add a few squirts of mouthwash and fill everything up with water. Leave it on for 3 to 5 minutes, then you can remove the aligners and rinse underwater. Please only use clear mouthwash as the colored ones can discolor the aligners.
You don’t have a mouthwash with you?
Use baking soda. Take 4 teaspoons of baking soda and mix it with a cup of water, then leave it on for 5 to 10 minutes with aligners. Your aligners will look new.
Take hydrogen peroxide, often found in first aid kits. Simply insert the rails briefly. And they are clean again.
Use saltwater. Saltwater can also clean your aligners in an emergency. Just give it a try.
Forgot your toothbrush?
In an emergency, you can wrap a napkin around a pencil, just soak it in soapy water to soften it and you can use it to clean your aligners. Then rinse with water. If you do this carefully, it’s as good as a soft toothbrush.
- Goldie, Maria Perno(2011). “Oral hygiene care during orthodontic therapy.”
- Azaripour, A., et al(2015). “Braces versus Invisalign®: gingival parameters and patients’ satisfaction during treatment: a cross-sectional study.”
- Naik, Vijay Rudrappa, and Pooja Chavan(2010). “Invisalign: The invisible braces.”
- Kumar, Kislaya, Shivani Bhardwaj, and Vishal Garg(2018). “Invisalign: A transparent braces.”