As human beings, we are programmed to have certain conceptions regarding our appearance, giving us confidence or taking it away. When we talk about confidence, it is said that ‘A confident smile represents a confident person.’ A smile is one of the essential expressions to show various emotions, and it contributes to a considerable amount in the confidence of a person. Studies show that more than 50% of adults in the UK have a decayed or a blemished tooth. More than half of New York State third graders (54%) experience dental problems, with more than 33% going untreated. More than half of the children aged 8 to 15 years are found with tooth decay to some level. As time passes by, the need to have a pleasing smile has become a necessity. Not only does it provide self-confidence, but also Dental treatments have been attaining steady fame in the past few years. Invisalign, in particular, has been quite the talk of recent times.
What are Invisalign braces?
An orthodontic procedure for the straightening of the teeth using plastic aligners is called Invisalign. The primary cause for its popularity is that the plastic aligners are mostly invisible, making them more comfortable mentally and physically for the people. This article will discuss the various components of the Invisalign treatment in detail in the coming sub-sections.
How does Invisalign work?
- The impression of your smile will be taken using highly advanced. After taking impressions of your teeth and their arrangement, it is sent to the Invisalign lab.
- A set of customized plastic aligners is made as per your teeth’ structuring and gradually allows the teeth to set in an ideal alignment.
- It is to be noted that the aligner should be worn for at least 20- 22 hours every day without fail for the best results. It is also necessary to change the aligners every week to maintain proper dental hygiene.
- A check-up every two to three weeks is advised to make sure the procedure turns effective and on the right track.
- On average, it has been noted that it would take around 18 to 30 aligners to finish the procedure successfully. Once the process is completed, you get to smile with confidence and spread happiness wherever you are.
Who is the right candidate for Invisalign?
Invisalign is suitable for all age groups from a teenager to an adult. It doesn’t have any extensive side effects, and the client gets to straighten their teeth without the hardship of wearing braces, which brings down a person’s confidence. If any of the conditions mentioned in the coming statements are observed in a person, they are a suitable candidate for Invisalign
- Crowded teeth- In simple words, it refers to a dental condition where your teeth don’t fit in the jaws; it is called overcrowded teeth. It could cause gum diseases if left untreated.
- Minor or a more comprehensive range of gaps between teeth can cause injuries to the gum and gradually weaken it.
- Overbite- The teeth in the upper front overlap the bottom front teeth too much when the back teeth are closed. This is also be referred to as a “deep bite” or a “closed bite.”
- Underbite- An orthodontic condition where the lower teeth extend farther than the upper teeth.
- Crossbite- The upper teeth sit behind the lower teeth when the mouth is closed or at rest.
How often do you have to visit the dentist with Invisalign?
It is necessary to check with the dentist once every two to three weeks to ensure the improvement is regulated carefully. It will also help in checking the condition of the aligners and prevent the infection beforehand. There have also been reported cases of calcium buildup on the aligners, which has to be remedied immediately to avoid any damage that might result in the aligners being replaced.
What are Invisalign Refinements?
As the name suggests, the Invisalign refinements act as a catalyst to refine your treatment process. Unlike the ideal image one might have in mind, there might still be a chance the alignment of the teeth isn’t proper, causing slight gaps or slanted teeth, which might have to be adjusted further. In these cases, professionals will recommend a set of aligners to make sure the treatment turns out to be successful as expected.
According to the dentists, Invisalign treatment produces 80% to 90% of the expected results. However, to attain the perfection of 100%, the refinements might be essential for those whose teeth don’t respond well to the treatment. Thus, it is advised to keep the regular check-ups systematic, ensuring the treatment is proceeding correctly.
Invisalign retainers: What are they, and what is the use?
Just like how a setting spray is used after finishing the makeup process, to make sure the result of the makeup remains undisturbed, the retainers help the teeth maintain the effects of the treatment. They fix the teeth in the perfect shape, ensuring it doesn’t revert once the aligners are removed.
There are various kinds of Invisalign retainers like fixed, removable, Vivera retainers, and many more. Based on the doctor’s suggestions, one can get the type of retainer that is suitable for their needs. These need to be worn carefully, and once they are removed, the perfectly aligned teeth will be visible.
How to clean the Invisalign retainers?
Once the treatment is done and the retainer is fixed, it is essential to note that the retainers must be adequately maintained hygienically. Any damage to the retainers would result in a replacement, which is a costly process. Thus, it is advised to clean the retainers occasionally to get the best results. These are the steps through which one can clean a retainer easily:
- The Invisalign retainer should be rinsed first. Use lukewarm water that isn’t too hot or too cold but rather is balanced between both.
- The next step of the process is to use the toothpaste to clean the retainers. Take a small amount of toothpaste and make sure the brush you are using contains soft bristles to avoid any scratches. Now, using the brush, clean the inside and outside of the retainer slowly in a circular motion, preferably, just like how one would brush their teeth.
- Once the step is completed, both the inside and outside of the Invisalign retainer should be rinsed again in lukewarm water to get rid of the toothpaste.
- Now, check the retainers carefully for any kind of calcium buildup. As the retainers resemble the teeth’ structure and texture to a large extent, there is a high chance of components like calcium building upon the retainers, which might damage it if left unnoticed. The calcium buildup can be observed as a thin white layer on the retainer, which cannot be removed with the toothbrush. In the case of a buildup, make sure you are cleaning it using a cleaning solution as per the instructions given.
- Make sure you leave the retainer in a safe place to dry if you want to wear it after it dries off.
- Cleaning the retainers every night is a best practice to be followed to prolong the life span of the retainers.
Eating with Invisalign:
There are some things to remember and be wary of when undergoing Invisalign treatment,
- Never eat without removing the aligners. They are pressure sensitive and are not designed for chewing purposes. Before eating, no matter a carrot or a whole vegetable salad, it is compulsory to remove the aligner to void any kind of hinders in the treatment process and damage to the aligners.
- The prementioned statement applies to beverages too. The aligners can get discolored if one takes in colored drinks or any kind of drinks. It is advised only to drink water while wearing Invisalign.
- Another important tip is to brush every night, preferably with flossing. This will help prolong the durability in the life of the Invisalign and will avoid any kind of germ buildup.
How much does Invisalign treatment cost in Boston?
The treatment price will differ based on the circumstances and the extent of the medicine taken up by an individual. In general, the price ranges from 1700 GBP to 6800 GBP on average. If only minor works need to be done, then the cost would vary from around 1100 GBP to 3000 GBP. Various insurance policies are available that can be used, too, so be sure to check that out.
Invisalign vs. Braces:
Let’s see the comparison of pros and cons between both the braces and Invisalign from different aspects.
When it comes to the outer appearance, it is obvious which one of both is the winner. Invisalign is much subtler than wearing braces. They are transparent, and it almost appears as if it isn’t even there. On the other hand, Braces portray an unpleasant metallic appearance which has proven to have caused low self-esteem and self-confidence in many people.
Thus, in the aspect of appearance, Invisalign will be the best option.
- Eating practices:
When we talk about comfort, Invisalign is reportedly much more comfortable to use than standard braces. It is removable, which is a significant advantage. Think about it. When using Invisalign, there needn’t be any diet restrictions as the aligners can be removed anytime. However, professionals advise their patients to wear the Invisalign around 20 hours every day to obtain the best results. In the case of braces, it would not be possible to remove them often, which means the diet followed by the patient should be conditioned to be compatible with that of the braces. In the long run, Invisalign would prove to be more advantageous when it comes to eating habits.
Redefining the alignment of one’s teeth isn’t an easy process and could cause a range of discomfort in both cases. However, with the Invisalign process, the pain is only mild compared to regular braces. It is easy to get adapted after it is fixed, and since it can be removed while eating, it won’t be causing any kind of pain while chewing.
Braces are said to be uncomfortable, especially for the first few weeks. Many have reported feeling much pain in the initial few weeks as they adjusted to wearing the metallic braces. Since it isn’t removable, it can cause severe pain if a person wearing braces eats anything hard, which could get stuck in the braces or disrupt their alignment. In this aspect, Invisalign is much better than regular braces.
Both the braces and the aligners are considerably hard to maintain. However, Invisalign requires a bit more maintenance than normal braces. The option to remove Invisalign also comes with the condition that it should be cleaned daily to avoid calcium buildup. Though it is to be noted that cleaning the aligners every day might be time-consuming to follow daily and requires a lot of patience.
In the case of braces, the patient can clean them once a week through an appointment will the professionals. And if any food particles get into the braces, it needs to be removed with the help of a professional, whereas with Invisalign, this would prove to be much easier to solve. Thus, it is right to say that both are hard to maintain, but Invisalign is considerably easier to maintain than normal braces.
- Appointment with Doctors:
Invisalign treatment does require a regular check-up once every two to three weeks. But the check-up can usually be done quickly with a 3D scan. However, braces need a check-up once every week or more, depending on the situation. With Invisalign, one can clean the aligners by themselves in case any food particles get stuck in them, whereas, with braces, one needs to approach a professional every time any complications like this occur. Invisalign is considered a better option in this aspect, as it is not highly time-consuming.
Invisalign is a comparatively new technology that has been introduced in the market. The practice of using normal braces has been effective for many years. With Invisalign, the effectiveness can be seen, but it is up to the patient whether it is as effective as that of the braces. To be successful with the Invisalign treatment, the patient needs to be disciplined and maintain their aligners carefully. The option of removable aligners might lead to the patients not wearing them for sufficient time to produce the best results. With braces, there is no option to remove them, and thus, the patient would be wearing them all the time with no choice. Though this might seem like a disadvantage with regards to the diet plan, it is an advantage in the aspect of effectiveness.
- Sustainability of the results:
Braces and Invisalign serve their purpose well, that is, in straightening the teeth. Though Invisalign is easier to wear and doesn’t affect a person’s physical appearance, one must understand that the Invisalign treatment doesn’t just end after removing the aligners. The patient needs to wear and maintain the retainers for quite some time until the straightened teeth are sustainable.
In this aspect of sustainability of results, braces have the upper hand. The results produced by the treatment done using braces rarely require any additional processes.
Though it’s easy to wear, Invisalign treatment is considerably costlier than using braces. On average, the cost for the braces ranges between 1850 GBP to 4400 GBP, whereas Invisalign treatment goes between 1700 GBP to 6800 GBP, and the additional charge for replacements, if needed, might add more to it. Hence, economically, braces are cost-effective than Invisalign. Though the price difference isn’t magnanimous, it is worthy to observe this aspect to get a better clearance. It is also to be noted that specific insurance policies are given, which could be referred to when considering the Invisalign treatment.
Conclusion: Is Invisalign worth it?
As the pros and cons of Invisalign were listed in several sections of the article, it is safe to say that Invisalign will be worth it to people who want to straighten their teeth in their comfort zone. It doesn’t affect the appearance, nor does it cause much discomfort. The effectiveness is nearly equal to that of the traditional treatment using braces. However, this requires discipline and carefulness. One must be patient to obtain the best results.
So, if you want to achieve straight teeth without having to stay disciplined or if you feel you might give in to the temptations when there is an option of removing the aligners, it is better to opt for traditional methods like braces and not to mention, braces can be slightly cost effective than Invisalign. Thus, people who are willing to take the necessary efforts to stay disciplined can achieve the expected results with Invisalign treatment, and it sure will be worth it to smile without hesitation, won’t it?